Litespeed web server goes open source, OpenLiteSpeed
LitespeedTech folks have announced an open source free version of their Litespeed Enterprise web server called OpenLiteSpeed. Unfortunately, seems OpenLiteSpeed is missing a few features compared to their Litespeed Enterprise web server, including:
- hosting control panel compatibility
- .htaccess file compatibility (seems Apache rewrite syntax is supported just via OpenLiteSpeed Admin control panel for Virtual Hosts under rewrite tab)
- mod_security compatibility
- page caching
- Minimal memory footprint.
- WebAdmin GUI with real-time statistics.
- Apache compatible rewrite engine.
- Worker processes for scalability. Ability to bind certain processes to particular workers.
- High-performance event-driven architecture using kqueue (FreeBSD and OS X), epoll (Linux), /dev/poll (Solaris), and poll.
- Can handle thousands of concurrent connections.
- Easy virtual host configuration via templates.
External Applications Support
- Supports PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, and Java external applications.
- LSAPI, a LiteSpeed-native SAPI, greatly improves PHP and Ruby speeds.
- Delegates external applications to separate processes, increasing efficiency.
- Buffers requests and responses to external applications to more efficiently serve multiple connections.
- Efficient CGI daemon.
- Compatibility with third party PHP accelerators.
- Apache compatible SSI support.
- SSL support and hardware acceleration.
- Bandwidth and connection throttling.
- IP-based access control.
- HTTP basic authentication.
- Referer limiting.
- Response rate limiting.
- Buffer overrun guards.
- Graceful restart feature allows application of configuration changes and upgrades without server downtime.
- Fault tolerance and instant restarting.
- Runs completely in user space. OS reliability is not affected.
- Accept-filters and TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT support.
- sendfile() support.
- Pipelined requests.
- Gzip compression for reduced bandwidth use.
- Chunked transfer encoding.
- Keep-alive connections.
- IPv4 and IPv6.
- Entity tags.
- Multi-range requests.
- Exact/prefix/regex-based matching.
- Name-based and IP-based virtual hosting.
- Custom error pages.
- MP4 and F4V streaming.
- IP geolocation.
- Can send logging to logging server.
- Simple load balancing.
- XML or flat file configuration.
- Can serve as a reverse proxy to accelerate static content delivery, compress throughput, or run security.
- CentOS 5 and 6
- Ubuntu 8.04 and up
- Debian 4 and up
- OS X 10.3 and up
- FreeBSD 4.5 and up
Check page 2 for more screenshots of OpenLiteSpeed’s VirtualHost GUI based admin control panel.